DNS-based AdBlock on OpenWRT

By Atomstar on Saturday 23 February 2019 13:13 - Comments (4)
Category: Security, Views: 3.889

Router-based ad-blocking has advantages that all connected clients are protected. Also, it might speed up connections because filtering is done upstream (i.e. not on client but on the router). However this might be offset by relatively slow hardware of routers.

For OpenWRT, there are two options to block ads. I chose the regular Adblock package.

I installed these packages via luci:
  1. adblock
  2. luci-app-adblock
  3. wget (with ssl)
Numerous adblock lists are supported. One question you have to ask is if you trusts these lists, as they could break some websites. I settled on the list below, I'm curious to hear what experience you have.
  1. blacklist - default
  2. disconnect - run by mozilla, known from browser plugin
  3. reg_nl - based on ablockplus easylist
  4. urlhaus - looked trustworthy, but is run by one individual
Regarding speed I don't notice a difference, but I'll keep a look out the coming weeks to see if anything is impacted.

Volgende: Crimping network cables 03-'19 Crimping network cables
Volgende: On-demand iOS VPN using Configuration Profiles 02-'19 On-demand iOS VPN using Configuration Profiles

Comments

By Tweakers user Noob_Saibot, Monday 25 February 2019 08:42

great tip, thanks !

By Tweakers user Smuey, Monday 25 February 2019 13:19

Does it handle Youtube ads well? PiHole doesn't really, unfortunately, so an alternative would be more than welcome!

By Tweakers user Blonde Tux, Monday 25 February 2019 13:21

I've found that the blocklists from Energized work really great. They are extensive and modular, so you can setup blocking to your own liking. It's a great combination with the setup you propose here.

By Tweakers user Atomstar, Monday 25 February 2019 17:48

michaelvink wrote on Monday 25 February 2019 @ 13:19:
Experimental support is provided, see the link I provided above. I haven't tried this yet.
Blonde Tux wrote on Monday 25 February 2019 @ 13:21:

Thanks for the suggestion! This blacklist seems to focus on client-side filtering, and appears incompatible with OpenWrt's adblock program. While the information could be re-used, I'm happy with the default lists I have for now ;)

Comment form
(required)
(required, but will not be displayed)
(optional)